Dunlavin Village

Dunlavin.jpg
IMG_6982-001.JPG
IMG_7007-001.JPG
IMG_7000-001.JPG
Dunlavin_Town_Hall_wiki_Eeno11.jpg
Dunlavin Town Hall.JPG
02 Dunlavin (2).JPG

Title

Dunlavin Village

Subject

Heritage Site

Creator

ActiveMe

GPS Location

53.057432, -6.701527

Short Interpretive Text

Founded in the 1650s by the Bulkely family from Cheshire, the town of Dunlavin has an exceptional high quality Palladian style market house in its centre which was later used as a courthouse and more recently as a library. Dunlavin has associations with the 1798 rising when thirty five men were executed in the Fair Green.

Interpretive Text

Dunlavin was founded during the late 1650s by the Bulkely family from Cheshire. In 1702, Hester Bulkely married James Worth-Tynte and started the long association of the Tynte family with Dunlavin.
Dunlavin has associations with the 1798 rising when thirty five men were executed in the Fair Green (one survived). Some were hung from the pillars of the Market House in the town. A number of the bodies were buried in a common grave at the cemetery. A commemoration stone is situated in St. Nicholas of Myra Catholic Church near the green. St Nicholas of Myra church was built on land donated by the local Tynte family and dates from 1815.
The Market House in the town is two storey high quality Palladian Style building , rated of international significance. It was built from Richard Castle’s designs, c. 1740. It was later used as a courthouse and more recently as a library. The building is set on an island site in the Market Square. It is constructed with rusticated ashlar granite and is topped by a magnidficent stone clock tower and stone dome. The roof is finished with natural slate and has stone parapets with dressed coping. The long main central section is gable-ended and has a full-width bay to the north and south gable.
Rathsallagh Country Housenear Dunlavin is set on extensive parkland with its own walled garden. This country house was converted from Queen Anne stables in 1798. While maintaining many of its original features, it functions as an exclusive country house hotel.
There is a holy well dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra east of the town of Dunlavin. There used to be pattern, which is a pre-Christian ritual associated with holy wells, associated with this well. Legend has it that various cures, for example the cure for toothache were associated with this holy well. A new walkway to the holy well has recently been installed.

Cycle Parking

Yes

Parking Available

Yes

Category of Interest

Historical,

County

Wicklow

Nearest Town

Baltinglass

Geolocation

Social Bookmarking

Comments

Citation

ActiveMe, “Dunlavin Village,” Lakeside Heritage Trail, Blessington Lake, accessed December 6, 2019, https://wicklowheritage.omeka.net/items/show/25.